Sunday, June 2, 2013

21 Day Sugar Detox (21DSD) on a MAJOR Budget


Ahmahgahd.  I am plateauing with my weight loss.  I've lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks, and it's suddenly slowed down. Want to know why? Because I love sugar. I love honey. I love chocolate. I love fruit more than vegetables. I crave Coca-Cola all day long.  And you know what? I don't have an amazing metabolism.  So yeah, just sit there on your judge-y butt and think of all the kale and spinach I should be consuming instead of chocolate flavored nutbutter; how I should be drinking half my weight in ounces of water; how I need to stop participating in work potlucks.  Because I'm thinking that, too.

This is how I feel when my co-worker tells me he's 6'2'', 170 lbs and
has never been to a gym and eats 7000 calories per day.
We all know what this sugar addiction means - it means I need to do the adult thing and go on my first Paleo 21 Day Sugar Detox. The problem? I have $50 till payday for groceries and gas - and I got paid 2 days ago. So, we're looking at $50 for 11 days of groceries - $4.54 per day (so long as my half a tank last me, ha).  Doesn't sound so bad when I type it out.

This was my 'last meal' - a  bacon, avocado and jack cheese burger
made with New Mexico meat... yum.
I am hoping I can stick to this. I have a major caffeine addiction, I love to smother my food with cheese. I have a ton of food vices. From spending time with people outside of my circle, I have realized that I may be addicted to food. And not in an "oh, haha, I love food" way, but in a food-governs-my-day way. I want this 21 day detox to also be my detox from my food addict self always thinking about the next meal.

Without further adieu, here's my grocery list for the week (some of these groceries will bleed into next week):

1 lb. bag of baby carrots ($0.88 at Sprouts)
1 bunch of spinach ($0.88 at Sprouts)
3 bell peppers ($1.00 at Sprouts)
1 cucumber ($0.49 at Sprouts)
1 onion ($0.50 at Sprouts)
1 head of cauliflower ($0.88 per pound at Sprouts)
1 head of romaine lettuce ($0.88 at... you guessed it - Sprouts)
2 green apples (for when I need to have "sugar" - roughly $0.75)
1 pckg. pork loin chops (buy 1, get 2 free at Albertson's - probably about $7)
1 pckg. bacon ($3.50 at Albertson's)
1 pckg. chicken breasts ($2.50 at Albertson's)
2 sausage links ($2.00 at Albertson's)

For a grand total of $21.26!  I have to get cat litter too.... dang these furry creatures!  I leave you with a picture of me with a pissed off cat when I tried to do a cat beard. And no, he's not meowing - he's trying to bite me.



Wish me luck :)

Mary



2 comments:

  1. Oh Mary... You make me laugh so hard. And I still have a food addiction, despite doing Paleo /Primal (about 98%) for two years and counting. I'm so freaking proud of you for sticking to eating clean and committing to getting healthy. Regardless of whether or not you're doing the detox, you're still on such a great path and I'm excited to be doing this with you. I knew I'd get ya one day... ;) Poor, poor Barney. I love that my screen shot caught his pissed face in time. You freaking weird cat people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, it is hard to eat Paleo on a budget sometimes!!! Green apples gross me out, but that's probably a good thing if you are "sugar detoxing". Also I have never heard of a catbeard before. haha

    ReplyDelete