Sunday, January 27, 2013

National (Paleo) Chocolate Cake day!

I'm officially changing my favorite holiday from Thanksgiving... to National Chocolate Cake day. Yessss. This is a fat kid's dream day. It just so happens that I am also PMSing, so when I found out today was the day that we celebrate my favorite food... I was ecstatic. Elated. Overjoyed.

Ok, ok. I'm officially a fat kid. Whatever. Try my damn cake. I used Civilized Caveman's Apple Pumpkin Butter for my base... you'll die and go to heaven if you make that stuff. I ate it right out of the food processor. I felt like such a cheater, because it's seriously so delicious that it can't possibly be good for you. Since I couldn't decide what to do with it, (I literally made 3 quarts, and was going to inhale it if I didn't get creative), I thought, what the hell, let's put it in a cake!


And without further adieu...

Paleo Chocolate Apple Pumpkin Butter Cake


Okay, I know this is a really crappy picture... I've been lamenting that. But the cake is gone. So live with it.


\
Ingredients:


1/2 c. Coconut flour
1/2 c. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

1 1/2 c. Apple Pumpkin Butter
5 Eggs, beaten
1/4 c. Honey (you can use more, but the apple butter is super sweet, so you may not need it)
1/2 c. Coconut oil, melted
1/2 c. Coffee, brewed
1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch cake pan (round or square).
Mix your dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon) together and set to the side. Next, mix your wet ingredients together (apple butter, honey, eggs, coffee, coconut oil, vanilla).  Add in the dry ingredients.  Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool and either eat as is, or add some frosting. It's a very moist cake, so the frosting is up to you!

Chocolate Frosting:
Melt 1 70% Cacao Bar (I used Godiva since it's all I had) in with 1/2 stick of grass fed butter - or coconut oil if you don't want to use the butter. Add a splash of coconut milk. Let cook and then spread on top of cake.  I added cinnamon and a drip or two of vanilla. Delicious!



2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks so good and I can not wait to try this!.

    ReplyDelete